Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I talked to an old friend today. He asked me how I am doing and told me how sorry he was to hear about my loss.
This being an old friend I felt I could be honest with him.
This is someone I can tell the truth and not be judged. This is someone that has lost not one but both of his parents. He knows what it is that I am feeling.
He did something for me today that some either can't or have chosen not to do.
He listened.
He didn't say a word until I was finished. And then he offered some advise.
He said I could take it, or not, the choice was up to me.
He let me know that there were a few things that have helped him, and he wanted me to know.
He let me know that everything I was feeling was normal. How when I'm angry it's ok. When I feel cheated and that life's not fair it's normal.
I am grieving. And there is no right or wrong way to do it, only my way.
So what ever it takes to get through this, and he knows I can I am to do it.
I had to love him for that. He understood that I needed space and time because that is the only true way I can or will be able to deal with this all.
He also suggested I keep a journal. I have had others suggest this idea and I have thought about it to a point but I must admit I am not ready to put it all down yet.
You see, I have these feelings that if I do this I will stop grieving and if I stop grieving I am not remembering, and if I am not remembering I have lost her forever. And that is what scares me the most. The fear of losing her.
I know that to some of you it probably sounds really crazy,and I'm sure right now you are thinking this girl needs help. But I don't, I'm ok. It's just one of those things I need to work through, and I will. In my time and my way.
So to most of you I want to thank you for all you have done.
I want to thank you for your kind words.
I want to thank you for not asking me questions that have no answers (or at least not the answers you want to hear).
I want to thank you for standing beside me and respecting my decisions, never once telling me how you felt I was wrong and in what way.
I want to thank you for giving me space to try to figure this all out but still being there when I call.
And most of all I want to thank my friend.
He doesn't know it yet but today he gave me hope to go on, guidance on how to do it and peace of mind that I can
Maybe someday I will tell him.

1 comment:

  1. He was correct when he said Write a journal. It will help you keep these feelings. It also may help your children as they grow older. They will grasp your sorrow and grief now but maybe they need more than that.Perhaps they too will need something to hold on to when life throws them something hard.Your dad also needs this to cling to as he tries to go on without the most important person in his life.

    ReplyDelete